Oysterknits

Inside every oyster, there's a purl...

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Miter Madness!




I caught the bug from januaryone
and it IS addictive. Along with my mom's Lady E,
I think this is my most favorite FO of all time. I didn't know whether my friend was having a boy or girl, so I went with 6 different brights, plus black and white. Red, lime, tangerine, turquoise, cobalt blue, purple. Halfway in, I decided the best size would be 3 blocks x 3 blocks for 9 blocks total, and since I didn't want to do a white block, I needed 2 more colors. Luckily for me, baby J made his appearance 4 weeks early, so I went with 2 more boyish colors, a darker orange and a olive-y green. For the border, I did 4 rows of white garter, 4 of black. The mitering itself only took about a week, it was the seaming that took forever (although I have to say, most of that time was procrastination!). Then, a trip down to Purl for the fabric. It did cost an arm and a leg for the tailor at my dry cleaner to attach it, but since I don't have a sewing machine, I couldn't see another option. I didn't think hand sewing it would have made it secure enough, since the knitted fabric is pretty heavy. I hope to gift it next week - hope she loves it as much as I do!I am so thrilled with the way it came out, I started one for W's bed (twin-size--that's ambitious!) Since there's no rush, I figure it will be a fun thing to work on in between other projects. I guess that I should confess here that after finishing almost all the squares, I realized I'd read the pattern wrong, and had been ssk, k2tog twice the whole way. Oh well, it's a "design element"!

Project Specs:
Baby J's Mitered Blankie
Pattern: Mason Dixon Knitting
Yarn: Tahki Cotton Classic, 2 skeins each of black, white, red, turquoise, lime, tangerine, dark orange, olive green, purple and blue. Little bits of all left over for, hmm, another one?
Needles: Addi turbo 6 (4mm)
Started: May 2007
Finished: July 2007
Finished dimensions: Approx. 40"x40" (each square approx 12.5 x 12.5 after seaming)


11 Comments:

Blogger Monika said...

Your baby blanket turned out beautifully! I like the fabric on the back as well. I'm sure your friend will LOVE it!

6:06 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

This is beautiful! I especially like the backing that you put on it. It's a really nice touch.

6:34 PM  
Blogger KnelleyBelley said...

Gorgeous! What a lucky baby. I've been bitten by the miter bug and have been working hard on my blanket. Miters are addictive! I love the way you did the backing. Great job!

6:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!! Don't think I could give that away! Once on Ravelry, you MUST POST THIS BLANKET!


stunning

4:25 AM  
Blogger maryse said...

i love yours. love the bold colors.

i've been collecting cotton classic since the book came out. some day i'll make one.

4:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Absolutely stunning! What an inspiration.

5:41 AM  
Blogger Susan (ZenKnit) said...

Stunning. I hope baby and mother really appreciate your beautiful/handsome work. The background fabric you chose is perfect!

6:19 AM  
Blogger Micky said...

It looks so great. It seems that the thin sqared lines are laying on top of the thicker color sqares. Very 3-D.
:)

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am also working on a blanket, love the way your background was in different colors, it looks more controlled to me.
Ellen

8:56 PM  
Blogger Claire said...

Your blanket looks fantastic!

6:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice design! I'm doing my blanket in random brights and pastels. These miters are so fun and yes, addictive. I'm keeping the boyfriend involved by letting him decide which colors to do next. He's so awesome, he actually plays along... :)

Great work.

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home