Oysterknits

Inside every oyster, there's a purl...

Sunday, November 19, 2006

May I Present the Glamorous Lady E?

This might just be the most beautiful thing I've ever knit. Here's my glamorous mom modelling her Lady Eleanor shawl
from Scarf Style. I used a yarn from Tahki called Bunny Paint, merino/alpaca/acrylic and because of the shorter color sctions, looks a lot different from some of the beautiful Noro silk gardens that I've seen. But I love the colors -- wine, gray, charcoal, olive, black -- and I wanted something more along the weight of the one used in the book.

It is knit pretty tightly on US 8's, partly because I wanted it dense and warm, partly because I wanted to minimize any stretching and sagging, and mostly because the needle gauge in the back of this book is wrong, and my size 8 Addi's did not fit into the size 8 hole, so I thought they were 9s. Ah well, live and learn. I am delighted with the final project, as is my Mom. This was supposed to be a 40th birthday present for my sister Dub, but my mom saw it shortly after I started and claimed it as her own. How could I say no?

Loved the pattern, easy to put down and pick up, and once I reminded myself how to knit backwards, was pretty quick. No turning was nice! All in all, maybe a month from start to finish, with lots of breaks for other stuff.

Specs:
Pattern: Lady Eleanor from Scarf Style
Yarn: Tahki Bunny Paint, about 15 skeins? I can't remember...mom kept trying it on and asking for it to be longer, so I kept buying more.
Needles: Addi US8
Measurements: I didn't measure before she ran home with it, but 20 x 70?

3 Comments:

Blogger Madelyn said...

Your Lady E is absolutely, positively gorgeous. It's no wonder your mom loved it.

5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful!! This is what lured me here from the Scarf Style blog - so very pretty! Nice job!

12:58 PM  
Blogger Lora said...

It's beautiful!! I have 6 skeins of Noro Silk Garden...just gotta get a couple more so I can get started on mine!

6:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home